Utasia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xanni's Writing Application

2 posters

Go down

Xanni's Writing Application Empty Xanni's Writing Application

Post  Xanni Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:26 pm

I noticed the thread on VirtualPetList from last month. I'm not sure if you're still looking for writers, but I figured it didn't hurt to put up an application.

Name: Hollie (or Xanni)
Country + Time Zone: U.S. Central Time
Contact Info: hdmartin91@gmail.com (This one goes straight to my phone.) I also use Skype, but would prefer not to put it up publicly.
How often/long are you on online?: I am constantly online. As for computer time, it’s usually a few hours every day. I also carry my Kindle and my smartphone with me pretty much everywhere. I’ve always got internet access, basically. I do work 12-hour shifts in a hospital, but generally only a few days a week.
Are you working for any other projects currently?: I’ve moderated for Anatheria for the past 7 or 8 years and have helped run a few of the contests there, including their writing contest. However, the site has been sluggish over the past couple of years and there isn’t much work to do.
What are your strong points in writing?: Not surprisingly, fiction writing is definitely my thing. I especially enjoy writing sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. I like creating new creatures, species, and environments. Writing about monsters is definitely one of my favorite pastimes. I think I’m pretty good at coming up with new and interesting characters, and once I get a basic idea in my head, I can flesh them out fairly quickly. I’m really big on science (especially biology) so I’m an avid researcher to keep things as believable as possible.
What are your weak points in writing?: Does writing about myself count? Heh. In all seriousness, my biggest weakness is probably outlining. I’m one of those writers whose characters and ideas essentially write themselves. I usually start with a plot idea and then let it expand and evolve in a way that feels natural to the subjects involved rather than writing out every single minute plot detail. It seems disorganized to some, but it works for me.
Please write a humorous description for an Axe Plushie: The perfect gift for the lumberjack enthusiast in your life!
Write a potential plot for Utasia. It doesn't need to be lengthy.:
“Wake up! You have to see this!”

You try your hardest to ignore the familiar voice, but they’re also roughly shaking your shoulder. It is way too early to be dealing with this. You grudgingly open your eyes and wince at the morning light pouring in through the window. The world is one big blur slowly coming into focus. Your best friend is standing over you and shouting that you need to get up. Something is happening.

“Wake me in an hour. I’m trying to sleep,” you grumble.

“No, there’s no time. You have to come look!”

Your friend is now grabbing your hand and pulling you along through the house. So much for getting to sleep in on this Saturday morning. You shuffle along in your stocking feet until you’re dragged out the front door. You raise your hand to shield your eyes from the blinding sunlight. When your eyes adjust, you blink. And blink again. Surely this cannot be real. There, wedged deep into the soil of your front yard, is a massive ship at least twice the size of your house. The sunlight dances cheerfully across its gleaming silver hull. Your friend is standing next to you with arms crossed and a smug I-told-you-so grin. It looks like it’s time to call your local news station.

Humans are not the only ones interested in Utasia.

(Basically, this would be a battle plot in which the user base has to fight off increasing numbers of invaders. Second-person writing is not really my forte, but it works well enough for a quick plot intro.)

Xanni
Intern Writer
Intern Writer

Back to top Go down

Xanni's Writing Application Empty Re: Xanni's Writing Application

Post  Ardor Wed May 01, 2013 6:24 pm

Hey Xanni, thanks for applying for the writer position! We do really need writers at this point since the site will be quest-heavy. I usually let our lead writer accept applications but I don't want to keep you waiting since you seem like a talented writer! So you are accepted onto the staff team, I'll add you to the group and you will be able to view the rest of the forums. :3 I'll message you with an introduction to the staff team.
By the way which moderator were you on kenopets? I've been there since '05.
Ardor
Ardor
Awesome Sexypants

http://utaisaonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Xanni Wed May 01, 2013 8:03 pm

Thank you so much, Ardor! I am very excited to be part of this project. This site seems very unique and interesting. I'm Werewolfeh on Keno/Ana. I've been modding there for a long time. RoxyWolf and I have been working on a couple of projects there together, but nothing that would take up too much of my time. =)

Xanni
Intern Writer
Intern Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down